Thursday, May 9, 2013

Changed me.

A month ago i started reading Shauna Niequist books. I started with "Cold Tangerines" then on to "Bittersweet" i haven't read "Bread&Wine' yet..i can't imagine how much more influenced i'll be by that book but i'm sure it will be great too.
So let me start by telling you that by no means am I a lover of the kitchen/cooking. I cook because if i don't my kids and I will starve. I cook simple easy meals the usuals i like to call them. I alternate the days and on one day a week my mama has us over and she cooks for us, God bless her:)
Chicken and fried rice night, taco night , spaghetti night, Greek pasta& salad and occasionally if i feel like it i whip up some homemade soup(grams recipe of course) but that is so rare you guys! And did you see i didn't mention hubby up there well that's because he is a cook! and whatever i make he comes home and cooks for fun to make it better..yeah i am in awe of that

Well while reading Shauna's books she consistently writes about cooking for her loved ones cooking and actually enjoying it. Who would have thought.
Enjoying what the memories bring from inviting friends over and cooking for them a act of showing you love them that you want to nurture them. Every time she tells one of her stories and shares about this i realized i want this. I want to learn how to nourish not only my family more but my community of friends and i want to find joy among it all..

I hadn't realized how much fear played in this area of my life. Because when Shauna describes community and cooking for others i cringed with fear. You mean you actually open your home that often to feed others letting all hang ups aside if the house is a mess and you don't really know what to cook? huh?! I was so taken back by it and in awe of how much i was afraid to do this often, yet really wanting and knowing how much i will end up loving and growing from it. You run the risk of people judging you in an area your not so confident in. Which in my case is cooking i have no hang ups with people judging me in areas i know i am great at i really could care less. Because i believe and try to respect others opinions but BUT when it comes to areas of my life where i'm not confident in which means it scares me! I just fold that area away in a safe place and have just made excuses for not trying.


I grew up among amazing cooks. period. And i was not a lover of food growing up, lets just say i was slightly picky eater. OK lets really say i was every parents nightmare. There i said it. My poor mom would cook these great meals for us and i would sit there all night not touching my food at all. My mama is one tough cookie you eat what she makes or you go hungry and i love her for that really! But boy was her work cut out for her when she'd try so hard to get me in the kitchen to learn. I avoided it like the plague because really i thought id fail immediately in comparison to her so why try right. I don't know why i held such contempt for it and gave up so quickly but lets just say it been a long road to recovery in that area and enjoying food GOOD food. So now i find myself healing in the area of failure before trying.

I am trying.
And am finding small nuggets of joy along the way and it feels so good. I am by no means where i want to be but the learning has not been as painful has i had imagined it to be.
I've cooked some pretty good food that's been a hit and then there's been a few misses where i whip out the usual suspects that will please everyone and forgive myself for it.
Because that's life my friends we have to give ourselves room to grow and a chance to change because it does and it will change us. Life has to bring so much more joy if we reach out for it with open hands and hearts.

So cheers to change & entertaining a whole lot more!
And here is what's for dinner at mi casa:)

Chicken-rice-ay-1875585-lDots-305x2
Chicken and rice are perfect dinner partners, so simplify your dinnertime prep by cooking them together in the slow cooker. All you need to add is a simple side dish, such as microwave-steamed veggies, and you've got a meal.
  • YIELD: SERVINGS (SERVING SIZE )
  • PREP TIME: 0:10 MINUTES
  • COOK TIME: 3:00 MINUTES

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 1 of onion, finely chopped
  • 2 of garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 4 of boneless chicken breast halves
  • of Salt and pepper
  • See all ingredients
  • Preparation

    1. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Scrape into slow cooker.
    2. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium high heat until foaming. Add chicken breast halves and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker.
    3. Add 1 cup broth and lemon juice to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Add to the slow cooker, along with remaining broth, rice and 1 tsp. salt. Stir, cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken, stir parsley into rice and season with salt and pepper. Divide rice onto 4 plates and top each with a piece of chicken; serve immediately.
    P.S. by the way Pintrest is the bomb for helping me find recipes that work! Enjoy!!

    God bless you and yours! 
    xoxo-Aligna

1 comment:

  1. you have such a beautiful heart! i've heard of these books but haven't read them.. need to check them out! :)
    love you friend!

    xox
    erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete