Tuesday, February 10, 2015

When we share that secret dream..acts of bravery

Sitting across from my sister friend she shared her heart. She shared her secret dream she never knew she had. And like we all do when we are afraid of what others will say when we share our secret desire  we laugh it off out loud. We say "you'll probably think this dream is ridiculous but here it is.." be gently with me. She knew I would.
She has a gift. Really she does and when i finished reading a small portion of her book I sat there thinking "wow my friend just wrote this". So amazing truly I was blown away! I kept saying I had no idea you could write like this. She didn't either but i think deep down it was a secret dream..do you have one of those? I bet you do.
She just flirted with the idea that came to her and did the next best thing..She wrote it down. I could see her joy and passion pouring out of her as she shared her ideas of the next chapter and how ALIVE she felt writing. Looking at her listening to her heart i saw a glimpse of the glory of god. He made her and He made her so beautifully and brave. She made me feel ALIVE.
YES you know your doing something right when you feel ALIVE scarred too even.

She simply wrote the story in her heart. And then she bravely shared it. She is BRAVE. Her being brave helped me be brave. Helped me and stirred in me something. Something that I'm still processing and praying about still and always will.
I know theres this temptation to say "who do i think i am? will my writing be any different then what is already out there? what if i suck?..Does it even matter?
I think it does. It matters very much.ANd more importantly i really believe God does. It matters to him. He is after all the dream giver. He gave us all gifts. Gifts that come from our joy in life and our pain. And so our story I believe is the biggest testimony we will ever have. From our story will come ideas inspiration that if we look to him he guides us. He will make us brave. And we will in turn make others be brave too.

I love what Anne lamott says in Bird by bird that, "So why does our writing matter, again?" they ask. Because of the spirit, I say. Because of the heart. Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life: they feed the soul. When writers make us shake our heads with the exactness of their prose and their truths, and even make us laugh about ourselves or life, our buoyancy is restored. We are given a shot at dancing with, or at least clapping along with, the absurdity of life, instead of being squashed by it over and over again."
YES to this. Amen.
Whatever gift your struggling with today. Whatever your dreams are write them down. Start with the small ones and work your way up to those big ones that scream "ONLY GOD" can do this in me. Pray over them ask Him to come into this place and to give you clarity over it or them. You can have more then one dream! Go ahead and write it all down and then do the next brave thing SHARE it. 

with love, 
Aligna

"Jesus valued peoples stories. He sat with the prostitutes and tax collectors, and He knew their stories. He also told their stories of His own, both to address the heart of the matter and the heart that needed tending" - from the book SPEAK by Nish Weiseth 


2 comments:

  1. DEF in love with your writing, your blog & your heart :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Rachel for your kind words and encouragement!!!

      Delete