Saturday, August 1, 2015

Anniversaries: our 15th!


Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm,
for love is as strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave.
Song of solomon 8:6


In Northern Minnesota 15 years ago I married this really cute Iowa boy named James on the hottest day of summer July 29, 2000. In my home church with no air conditioning and surrounded by my loving church family and friends. That day we said some beautiful words about promising to love each other in sickness and health till death do us part through richer or poorer and a lot of other words i can't remember honestly. Because on that day i had only eyes for him and all my other senses tuned into James. His bright blue eyes watching me walk down the isle his hand holding mine I was clearly and madly in love with this Iowa boy. 
At the time I didn't notice the unbearable heat outside or in the church and especially not in the limo when i was left there for what felt like a eternity to melt and pass out from a heat stroke. I had the worst limo driver of all time. No joke! God bless his heart wherever he is but i sincerely hope weddings aren't his gig anymore.. 
No you see the only thing i wanted that day was to begin my life as Mrs. Bluhm. I couldn't wait to start this grand adventure with James and i had no idea what being married was going to be like. In fact neither of us did. But we sure had a lot of expectations and those unrealistic expectations crushed us at times making us feel lost and bewildered as to why in the world do people get married and how do you stay married year after year. Now there is where God began his good work in us. We had to look to him for hope and healing. We had to learn what real love meant and how forgiving is the only way to make our marriage grow and last through the years. We needed him to show us how to truly see each other the way he sees us. And I promise you we are still learning! If you are married no matter the years under your belt always keep that hunger to learn and grow for and with each other. This isn't the kind of journey where we arrive at a certain year and have all the answers and our marriage is perfect now. My precious naive heart had to let go of those unrealistic expectations to really enjoy what I do have with James. What I know for sure is this, its never going to be perfect but it grows and the journey is beautiful and hard and worth fighting for. Always
And now now looking back on 15 years of being married to this wonderful loving imperfect man I am so thankful for him. Thankful he loves this imperfect girl too. Thankful for our family and the life we are building together.
And 15 years later we are still living this grand adventure together with a lot of little witnesses to cheer us on which is the BEST part and pretty amazing. So cheers to us and a whole lot more years babe!
xo- Aligna



No comments:

Post a Comment